JSC

" The postings on this site are my own and do no necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee."

Friday, October 22, 2010

Mi Tercera Semana

Hello Again! So I was writing another lovely blog post and when I clicked "Publish Post" it got erased. So now I'm trying again...I hope it will get posted...

Another lovely week has passed in la linda city of Córdoba. Last week it was freezing and when I say freezing, it was about 40 degrees, in spring! I have never felt so cold in my life! I don't understand how you guys can live in NY, how do you deal with the cold?! 

I'm starting to get a bit more work than last week but I wouldn't say that "estoy de full" or that I'm super busy. At Hillel I have been working a lot on Alternative Spring Break, when Hillel groups from the U.S. come to Córdoba in March. I've been helping with finding hostels, looking at them to make sure they are adequate, planning recreational activities in the mountains and community service activities with Hillel of Córdoba and the Hillels from the U.S. This has been especially fun for me, because I've read about previous Alternative Spring Break programs and now I'm planning it! Also, I've really enjoyed learning more about Córdoba. I had no idea that just 40 minutes outside the city there is repelling, white water rafting, bungee jumping and more. I'm also translating several documents which is so difficult because Spanish and English are so different, and it's the first time I'm translating long documents. Yesterday I translated for 4 hours and I was so brain dead that I went hope and watched TV in English for 3 hours. But not to worry, now I'm totally refreshed and ready to get back to work but wow, translating is tough! 

This week I wasn't at the social welfare center much. I had a few minor problems with my apartment and unfortunately the only time the handy man could come was during my work time at the social welfare center. I know that they are very eager to teach me the SIC medical online system so I think that will be my main project for next week. The women that I work with in the ropera are adorable. They are always asking me questions about San Diego, they are eager to practice English with me (although many of them only speak a few words) and they always invite me to drink café with them. Tuesdays and wednesdays are the busiest days at the social welfare center because that's when people come to get their resources such as food, clothing, medicine ect. This past tuesday for the little time I was at the social welfare center, something very interesting and eye opening happened to me. A woman that appeared to be around my age came to the ropera to buy clothes. She wanted to buy a pair of jeans for 10 pesos (U$S 2.56) but she said that was too expensive so she didn't buy them. Shortly after, I overheard a conversation that she was having with one of the señoras that works at the ropera. She was explaining how she lives in a villa (a shanty town) and was hit by a car (this is very common in Argentina) and is unable to work because she is injured. This really gave me food for thought, and I thought to myself how lucky I am to have my health, have the ability to work and live in a safe and clean environment. Everyday this woman is battling with life, constantly up against her health, wellbeing and her pursuit to happiness. By living in a villa, this woman is living the poorest, most dangerous and unsanitary living conditions. The other day I didn't go to work because I was waiting for the handy man to fix a few light bulbs and the microwave. I wonder what this woman would think of me if she knew that I missed work for this, and even worse, that I was fretting that these things were not working. I felt a little embarrassed and ashamed of myself, for worrying about something so minor and stupid when everyday she's probably worrying about if she will be able to eat dinner or if she will survive tomorrow. 

Honestly in all the places that I'm working at, I'm the most confused and lost at Macabi, the JCC style center. During the week they have no activities, just meetings which I attend with the roshs', the leaders of the teen movement and the board of Macabi. Saturday is their big day of activities and it's very structured, I have no idea where I fit in and how I can contribute. I've been trying to think outside the box, trying to think of how I can create an environment outside of Macabi so I can get to know the teens. I'm thinking of maybe having a Halloween party or a Thanksgiving dinner at my apartment so I can get to know them and teach them about U.S. customs and culture. But then the question is how do I recruit teens and get the message out that I'm having this event...I am open to any ideas/thoughts/advice…
I'm sure that over time, I will start to feel more comfortable and I will really get into the groove of Macabi. 

Wednesday I attended a Hillel event called "Ciclo de Cine" or "A Series of Movies". The event is open to public and every Wednesday, we watch an Israeli movie and think about how it relates to today’s Jewish identity. At the end of the movie, a professional (usually it's a professor, rabbi or psychologist) analyzes the movie and gives his/her opinions and at the end there is time for questions and answers. It was my second time going and I really enjoyed it. 

I've been trying to figure out how to upload pictures onto my blog so you guys can see what I'm doing and see pictures of Córdoba but I can't figure it out! Can anyone help me please?!?!? Like I said before, I'm so "gila" with technology! 

I'm sure more things have happened during the week but for now I can't remember. I'll write about them in my next blog post...stay tuned for next week! 

1 comment:

  1. Sugestión para publicitar tu evento: facebook. Yo sé que todos mis amigos en el Perú lo usaban, incluso los adolescentes en el colegio.

    Quiero comentar más, pero, como ya sabes tú, mi vida en los fines de semana es ocupadísima. Debemos arreglar una cita de skype para ponerse al día.

    Quiero oír más sobre los nuevos amigos/nuevas personas que conoces. ¡Vas a festejar con alguien?

    ReplyDelete